The 20 semi-finalists in the Fish and Chip Restaurant of the Year category at the 2018 National Fish & Chip Awards have been revealed.
• Catch Seafood in Halifax, West Yorkshire
• Craft & Harbour in Ayr, South Ayrshire
• Eric’s Fish & Chips in Thornham, Norfolk
• Fish ‘n’ Fritz in Weymouth, Dorset
• Food in the Park in Blair Atholl, Perthshire
• Longsands Fish Kitchen in Tynemouth, Tyne and Wear
• Poppie’s Fish & Chips in Camden, London
• Poppie’s Fish & Chips in Soho, London
• Tailend in Dundee, Angus
• Tailend in St Andrews, Fife
• The Atlantic in Redruth, Cornwall
• The Cod’s Scallops in Nottingham, Nottinghamshire
• The Fish Factory in Worthing, West Sussex
• The Fishermans Wife in Whitby, North Yorkshire
• The Pelican in Barnstaple, Devon
• The Rembrandt Restaurant in Norwich, Norfolk
• The Scallop Shell in Bath, Somerset
• Trenchers Restaurant in Whitby, North Yorkshire
• Upstairs at No1 Cromer in Cromer, Norfolk
• Whitby’s Fish & Chip Restaurant in Rotherham, South Yorkshire
To reach this stage of the competition, the 20 restaurants have been assessed against a wide variety of judging criteria, including menu development and innovation, responsible sourcing policies, staff training and development processes, and marketing and promotional activity.
Over the coming weeks, judges will make unannounced visits to respective restaurants to undertake mystery dining assessments. This next stage of competition judging will whittle down the shortlist and establish the top five that will compete for the overall national title to be announced in London on 25th January 2018.