“Our local newspaper picked up on our success and ran a story. For us, this was great publicity and we received many comments from old and new customers. There was also an online news team in our local area that did a write up and this was shared on Facebook more than 100 times.”
Kevin Hill, Catch, Ashford, Kent
“I’ve seen an increase in business since my win being mentioned on Wales Online and in the local newspaper. People are now travelling to my shop which is located in a small village. It has definitely given me confidence that the product I’m selling is of good quality.”
Crosskeys Fish Bar, Crosskeys, Newport
“We have certainly become a closer team and we are proud of our product and our working habits, processes and hygiene practices. We have made a number of improvements, for example we are now frying fish and chips in a separate pan to meat products.”
Raj Basra, Coopers Fish Bar, Coventry
“We used the mystery dining report in one of our monthly staff training sessions as I find they provide the best evidence of what standard we should be aiming for.”
Mark Drummond, owner, Towngate Fisheries, Idle, Bradford
“Our local paper Westmorland gazette did a half page feature on us and we also appeared on the local radio, Lakeland Radio, who were delighted to announce that we were named one of the top 50 chippies in the UK. We also had posters made for the windows and we’ve had the logo put on our menus and carry out bags.
“The feedback form was fantastic and we’ve taken on board the point about wearing name badges and now all our staff wear them. One of the best things we have done was enter this competition and our whole team are proud as punch.”
Janice Dickens, Frydays of Kendal, Cumbria
To View Past Winners Please Click On The Year Below
Is there any paperwork to fill in?
No, all you do is enter on this website by filling in the details required and we do the rest.
When will our shop be visited by a mystery diner?
We do not tell shops when you will be visited, this gives you as owners a true representation of your shop and the service your customers receive.
What do we do once we fill in the form to enter?
All you have to do is keep an eye on the website or in Fry Magazine for news and updates about when the results are out. We post you your score cards for your records with a detailed report and if you make the list you then get your certificate and window poster.
I have more than one shop can I enter both?
There is a section under the entry page outlining the rules. If you have more than one shop you are allowed to enter one shop in each section ONE in 50 BEST Takeaways and ONE in 10 BEST Restaurants. That is all that you are allowed.
I have more than one mobile unit can I enter them all?
There is a section below outlining the rules. If you have more than one unit you are allowed to enter one unit. That is all that you are allowed.
Whats happens if we do not make the list?
You enter anonymously so only you know that you have entered the competition. A list of the successful shops are published. If you do not make the list no body except yourselves are aware of that. You can then look at the score card and improve or change anything you feel you need to and if you want to try again you can re-enter the next year.
2019/20 Competition is open between the February 2019 - November 2019. After this date we cannot accept your entry.
· You can only enter ONE SHOP PER CATEGORY.
· If you own multiple sites or are a group or chain, you may only enter 2 shops maximum. One in each category. If you own multiple mobile units you can only enter ONE UNIT.
· If you are entering a mobile unit, you must have a fixed and regular route. We will contact you for the route and various days you can be visited to conduct the mystery dining.
· Please do not enter more than one shop you own into a category as we will not allow your shops to be put forward.
· To be judged on the restaurant category you must have a minimum of 16 covers/seats.
· Please fill in your details correctly, we use these to contact you about the shop you want to enter.
· Each and every entry will receive their mystery dining report.
· You are entering anonymously and in confidence, we do not disclose the shops or mobile units that enter or share your reports.
· On entering you can be judged anytime between October and March 2020.
· Results Announced in April 2020.