The two owners of a Cardiff takeaway have been ordered to pay over £21,000 and handed suspended prison sentences following fire safety offences.
The owners of Marmaris Kebabs appeared in Cardiff Crown Court on 8th February 2021 following multiple breaches of the Fire Safety Order, which is in place to protect against the risk of a fire.
During a routine inspection made by Business Fire Safety Officers from South Wales Fire and Rescue Service (SWFRS), 10 fire safety breaches were discovered including no fire risk assessments, inadequate escape routes with no emergency lighting, no fire alarms, blocked stairs cases and a missing door to a store room holding combustible items.
Fire officers immediately served a Prohibition Notice, preventing the use of the upper floors of the premises for residential purposes, and an Enforcement Notice detailing the failings that needs to be rectified within 180 days to ensure the building was safe from the risk of fire.
On return visits officers found no remedial work had been carried out and that the upper floors were still being used for residential purposes.
The owners pleaded guilty to six charges under offences made against the Fire Safety Order and were fined £12,000 plus ordered to pay full costs to South Wales Fire and Rescue Authority of over £9,000.
One defendant was also handed a 12 month prison sentence suspended for two years, 180 hours of unpaid work and issued a curfew between 7pm and 6am every night for the next four months to be monitored electronically.
Owen Jayne, head of business fire safety for SWFRS, welcomed the sentence and commented: “I would urge those responsible for such premises, if they haven’t already done so, to undertake a suitable and sufficient fire risk assessment to determine whether they are compliant with the Fire Safety Order. The service is keen to work with members of the business community to ensure work places are safe for their staff and member of the public. We have a dedicated business engagement team whose purpose is to assist businesses and I urge them to contact SWFRS’ Fire Safety Department for advice and information.”