Search

Indian fined £15,000 for food allergy failures



The boss of an Indian takeaway in York has been fined nearly £15,000 after failing to adhere to an allergy warning from a customer.


Mohammed Abdul Alim of Shahi Tandoori takeaway in Nunnery Lane, York, was found guilty of breaching food allergy health and safety regulations by York County Council after an order was placed via the Just Eat app in which an allergy to both peanuts and hazelnuts was declared.


After receiving the food, the customer began to experience a change in breathing, swollen lips and itchy hives across the arms and torso, which resulted in treatment in A&E.


Following a report submitted to Just Eat and City of York Council, remains of the meal were retained and tested, and all food dishes ordered were found to contain peanut.


Council environmental health officers visited Shahi Tandoori shortly after the incident in March last year, where it was apparent that ingredients with nut allergy warnings were used.


Mohammed was interviewed under caution but couldn’t offer an explanation as to why the meal contained peanut.


The premises had previously been subject to a test purchase by City of York Council officers in January 2015, during which Shahi Tandoori failed due to peanut being supplied contrary to the order request.


Mohammed pleaded guilty to two food safety charges at York Magistrates Court and was ordered to pay a £9,000 fine and a £170 court surcharge in addition to £5,562.51 prosecution costs.

56 views

Subscribe to Our Newsletter

  • White Facebook Icon

Fry Magazine Limited

196a Petts Wood Road

Orpington

BR5 1LG

© 2019 by Serena Pybus. www.frymagazine.com