top of page

Kerbside appeal

Insurance specialist Wrapped offers some words of advice to those thinking of using the space outside their shop this summer

With the UK summer continuing to offer us drier and warmer days, you may want to seize the opportunity of the extra trade you’re experiencing by setting up some covers on the path just outside your shop or restaurant.

So, what do you need to know about setting up outside your fish and chip shop, and do you need to worry about protecting those people queuing outside waiting for your fare?

Keeping your customers safe

We all know that public and products liability are staples of a well-catered for insurance policy in the hospitality industry, with public liability helping to ensure that, if a customer injures themselves while on your premises, you have adequate funds to cover any costs, and with products liability helping to ensure that, if your customer falls ill as a result of the food or drink you’ve supplied, you have the funds to cover that, too.

When your customer hasn’t yet reached your door, though, and is queuing on the pavement outside, do you still have that duty of care? Most commonly, as the person in question has not yet reached your premises, the duty of care would fall to the local public authority or to the owner of the land. You, as the fish and chip shop owner, would only be liable if your actions caused the injury or damage.

Setting extra seating outside your fish and chip shop

Many hospitality businesses set up tables and chairs for their patrons on the pavement by their shop front and, with a more social, café culture emerging once more, it can be tempting to offer the same experience to your own customers.

If you’re thinking of adding covers outside your fish and chip shop, though, you’ll first need to get permission – pavement licencing – from your local authority. This is an annual requirement and there is a cost involved in obtaining your licence, which will normally relate to the number of tables you’re setting up. As well as completing an application form, you’re likely to need to supply:

- Plans and photographs showing the exact location, dimensions and surroundings.

- Clear markings showing where you’d like to place the tables and chairs within that area.

- A description of the tables, chairs and any other furniture to be used.

- Proof of your public liability insurance, usually with a minimum cover requirement of £5,000,000.

You’ll likely also need to advertise a copy of your application at your fish and chip shop premises for 28 days.

When you receive your permit, it might include restrictions, such as the size of the furniture or where you can place it on the pavement. You will probably also have to meet other conditions, such as leaving a certain width of pavement free for pedestrians or marking around the border of your seating area with metal studs. Seeking permission and following any such restrictions will also be a condition of your insurance policy.

Keeping your fish and chip shop insurance Wrapped

Whether you’re thinking about the queues outside of your premises or if you’re looking to set up tables and chairs on the pavement, public liability is a key cover for your business. For more information about Wrapped or for your personal quotation, talk to the Wrapped team today on 0800 093 3018 or e-mail: Alternatively, visit

bottom of page