The brightest new stars of the UK fish and chip industry have been revealed today with the announcement of the Best Newcomer semi-finalists for the 2020 National Fish & Chip Awards.
The ten 10 fish and chip businesses which judges believe are making an impact in their first year in the industry are:
• Bertie’s Restaurant and Bar, City of Edinburgh, Edinburgh
• Fish Kitchen 1854, Hengoed, Caerphilly
• Lewis’s Fish and Grill, Maidstone, Kent
• Redcloak Fish Bar, Stonehaven, Aberdeenshire
• Rowlies Fish and Chip Shop, Leigh, Greater Manchester
• Southend Pier Fish and Chips, Southend-On-Sea, Essex
• Tates of Rawcliffe, Goole, East Yorkshire
• The Chippy at Broken Cross, Stockport, Greater Manchester
• Toll Bar Chippy, Hope Valley, South Yorkshire
• WA14 Fish and Chips, Altrincham, Cheshire
The Best Newcomer Award recognises business owners and operators with less than one year’s experience in the industry and those who have switched career from other business sectors.
Marcus Coleman, chief executive at Seafish, said: “The UK is the home of traditional fish and chip takeaways, so it’s fantastic to see new businesses challenging the norm by providing innovative business ideas and bringing in transferable skills from a diverse range of industries. We have 10 exceptional new business owners represented in this Best Newcomer shortlist and we wish all the shortlisted businesses the best of luck in the final round of judging.”
Andrew Marriott, UK brand and marketing manager for award sponsor Frymax, added: “The future of our industry relies on top-quality, highly-motivated fish and chip businesses, like the 10 featured on the shortlist for the Best Newcomer Award. We’re always looking for unique approaches to fish and chips, so it’s really rewarding to be a sponsor of this award category which celebrates the new, talented businesses that are passionately driven and producing great tasting fish and chips for their customers."
The 10 finalists will now undergo mystery dining assessments and a full back-of-house inspections in order to determine a top three. The winner will be announced at the National Fish & Chip Awards ceremony held in London on 23rd January 2020.